Nirodha organizes insight (vipassana) meditation related events in Finland. We offer silent meditation retreats, weekly meditation evenings, monthly practice days, and other activities. The teachers of our retreats come from abroad; many of them have got their teacher training at Gaia House, Insight Meditation Society, or Spirit Rock. The teachings are based on Theravada Buddhism. Many Nirodha events take place in Helsinki, but we have local sitting groups in several other Finnish cities as well. Everybody is warmly welcome to practise with us!
Opportunities to Practice in English
Nirodha offers many practice opportunities for non-Finnish speakers. All our retreats and other events led by visiting teachers are taught in English. In Helsinki, the first Tuesday meditation evening of each month is in English. The silent sittings on Mondays and Fridays, as well as the monthly practice days, can be attended by non-Finnish speakers. In other cities, there’s no regular program in English, but you’re welcome to ask for details about their situation.
Our sangha members have formed many dharma groups (a.k.a. kalyana mitta groups), and some of them may be in English. You can see a list of existing groups or post your own ad in our dharma group listing. If you’d like to discuss your practice with one of our facilitators, we offer 30-minute appointments on a donation basis. The meetings take place in Helsinki, but sometimes there are Skype sessions available as well.
We organize several silent meditation retreats each year. Most retreats are 5-9 days long and can be attended by both beginners and experienced meditators. All retreats are taught in English. Most of them take place in Southern Finland, within two hours of travel from Helsinki.
- 3.-8.2.2017. Martine Batchelor: Letting Go in Four Stages Retreat is now fully booked.
7.-12.3.2017 Frank Uyttebroeck Retreat is now fully booked.
- 13.-18.4.2017. Patricia Genoud-Feldman and Yuka Nakamura Retreat is now full, but you can book on the waiting list.
- 10.-17.6.2017. Leela Sarti
- 7.-16.7.2017. Alexis Santos and Laura Bridgman
- 26.6.-2.7.2017 Half-silent Dharma gathering with Paul Burrows
- 6.-13.9.2017 Trekking Retreat in Lapland, Paul Burrows and Kirsten Kratz
- 22.9.-1.10.2017. Leigh Brasington (link to Leigh’s website)
- 21.-28.10.2017. Caroline Jones and Paul Burrows
Nirodha has been organizing retreats since 2006. Some of the latest are autumn 2016, summer 2016, summer gathering 2016, spring 2016, winter 2016, Easter 2016, autumn 2015, summer 2015, autumn 2014, Easter 2014, autumn 2013, summer 2013, spring 2013, Easter 2013, autumn 2012, summer 2012, Easter 2012, autumn 2011, summer 2011, Easter 2011, autumn 2010 and summer 2010. The teachers of our past retreats include Caroline Jones, Patricia Genoud Feldman, Rob Burbea, Leigh Brasington, Sayadaw U Tejaniya and Martine Batchelor, among others.
We offer meditation evenings on Tuesdays and Fridays, as well as a morning meditation on Mondays. All these events are donation based and there is no need to sign up in advance. If you do not speak Finnish, you can attend the silent sittings on Mondays and Fridays, as well as the first Tuesday of each month, which will be taught in English. Please plan to arrive 15 minutes early on your first visit.
- On Mondays we meet from 7 AM – 8 AM for a silent sit. The doors open at 6:55 AM. There are no Monday sittings during public holidays; between Christmas and New year; nor between Midsummer and end of July.
- On Tuesdays we meet from 6 PM – 8:30 PM. The evening typically consists of a guided meditation, dharma talk, group discussion and silent meditation. The doors open at 5:30 PM. Afterwards, you can join us for tea, cookies and socializing.
- On Wednesdays we meet on the odd numbered weeks at Meditaatiokellari (Meritullinkatu 11 B), Helsinki from 18.00-19.15. Afterwards, there will usually be the opportunity for tea, cookies and conversation.
- On Thursdays we meet at Tapiola, Espoo. On Thursdays we meet in Tapiola, Espoo. On even numbered weeks the sessions run from 18-20 and, on the odd numbered weeks, from 18-19.15. Afterwards, there will usually be the opportunity for tea, cookies and conversation.
- On Fridays we meet from 7 PM – 7:45 PM for a silent sit. The doors open at 6:45 PM. Afterwards, you can join us for tea, cookies and socializing.
On Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays we meet at Buddhist Center Sampo.
Nirodha has local groups in Hämeenlinna, Joensuu, Jyväskylä, Lahti, Tampere and Turku. Here are the contact details:
- Hämeenlinna. More information on closed Facebook-group. Contact Taina Siukola (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Joensuu. More information on Facebook-page. Contact Tuulikki Hukka (p. 050 432 9241).
- Jyväskylä. More information can be found on the group’s Facebook page and by e-mail at email@example.com, where you can also join the mailing list of the group.
- Lahti. Contact person is Tony Heino (firstname.lastname@example.org, tel. 044 333 5822). More information can be found on the Facebook page of the group.
- Tampere. More information can be found on the group’s Facebook page and by e-mail at email@example.com, where you can also join the mailing list of the group.
- Turku. Contact Lauri Niemelä (firstname.lastname@example.org). More information can be found on the Facebook page of the group.
We organize a silent practice day once a month, usually on the first Saturday of each month from 10 AM – 6 PM at Buddhist Center Sampo. During the day, we alternate between silent 45-minute sitting and walking meditation periods. We also listen to a recorded English dharma talk. If you’re not familiar with walking meditation, please arrive early for a short introduction. There is a lunch break at 1:30-2:00 PM – please bring your own lunch. If you prefer to attend half a day, it is possible to arrive or leave during the lunch break. Please sign up by email filing a form. Please add a comment if you are signing up for a later meditation day than the next one.
Dharma Groups for On-Going Support with Your Practice
Dharma groups (i.e. kalyana mitta groups) are small groups intended to support the practice of their members by giving them the opportunity to meditate together, share their experiences and learn from the experiences of others. If you are interested in either joining a group or in starting one yourself, read more about them here.
From time to time, we organize beginners’ classes, study circles, movie nights, social gatherings, etc. For instance, we have had several groups of people attending the Awakening Joy course by the vipassana teacher James Baraz. The best source of information on these miscellaneous events is our mailing list.
Buddhist Center Sampo
Ilkka Urvas (+358 50 454 3000)
Anne Patrikainen (+358 40 533 9812)
Sampo Koistinen (+358 440 513 176)
Juha Penttilä (+358 40 324 6724)
Feel free to get in touch if you have any questions, we are happy to help!
- Insight meditation retreats abroad
- Miscellaneous resources