Nirodha organizes insight (vipassana) meditation related events in Finland. We offer silent meditation retreats, weekly meditation evenings, monthly practice days, and other activities. The teachers of our retreats come from abroad; many of them have got their teacher training at Gaia House, Insight Meditation Society, or Spirit Rock. The teachings are based on Theravada Buddhism. Many Nirodha events take place in Helsinki, but we have local sitting groups in several other Finnish cities as well. Everybody is warmly welcome to practise with us!
Opportunities to Practice in English
Nirodha offers many practice opportunities for non-Finnish speakers. All our retreats and other events led by visiting teachers are taught in English. In Helsinki, the first Tuesday meditation evening of each month is in English. The silent sittings on Mondays and Fridays, as well as the monthly practice days, can be attended by non-Finnish speakers. In other cities, there’s no regular program in English, but you’re welcome to ask for details about their situation.
Our sangha members have formed many dharma groups (a.k.a. kalyana mitta groups), and some of them may be in English. You can see a list of existing groups or post your own ad in our dharma group listing. If you’d like to discuss your practice with one of our facilitators, we offer 30-minute appointments on a donation basis. The meetings take place in Helsinki, but sometimes there are Skype sessions available as well.
We organize several silent meditation retreats each year. Most retreats are 5-9 days long and can be attended by both beginners and experienced meditators. All retreats are taught in English. Most of them take place in Southern Finland, within two hours of travel from Helsinki.
- 24.5.-1.6., 1.6.-8.6. ja 8.6.-16.6.2019 Sayadaw U Tejaniya and Alexis Santos.
- 8.-15.7.2019 James and Jane Baraz The retreat is full.
- 1.-8.8.2019 trekking retreat, Kirsten Kratz and Sampo Koistinen The retreat is full.
- 10.-17.8.2019 Greg Scharf and Marie Ericsson
- 21.-28.9.2019 Heather Sundberg
- 18.-27.10.2019 Suvaco (for experienced meditators)
- 14.-17.11.2019 Yuka Nakamura
Nirodha has been organizing retreats since 2006. The teachers of our past retreats include Caroline Jones, Patricia Genoud Feldman, Leigh Brasington, Sayadaw U Tejaniya, Martine Batchelor, Rob Burbea, James Baraz, Greg Scharf, Alexis Santos, Kirsten Kratz, Yanai Postelnik, Leela Sarti, Suvaco, Zohar Lavie, Nathan Glyde and Catherine McGee, among others.
We offer meditation evenings on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, as well as a morning meditation on Mondays. All these events are donation based and there is no need to sign up in advance. If you do not speak Finnish, you can attend the silent sittings on Mondays and Fridays, as well as the first Tuesday of each month, which will be taught in English. Please plan to arrive 15 minutes early on your first visit.
- On Mondays we meet from 7 AM – 8 AM for a silent sit. On Wednesdays we meet from 7 AM – 8:30 AM. The doors open at 6:55 AM. There are no morning sittings during public holidays; between Christmas and New year; nor between Midsummer and end of July.
- On Tuesdays we meet from 6 PM – 8:30 PM. The evening typically consists of a guided meditation, dharma talk, group discussion and silent meditation. The doors open at 5:30 PM. Afterwards, you can join us for tea, cookies and socializing.
- On Wednesdays we meet on the odd numbered weeks at Meditaatiokellari (Meritullinkatu 11 B), Helsinki from 6 PM to 7:15 PM. Afterwards, there will usually be the opportunity for tea, cookies and conversation.
- On Thursdays we meet in Tapiola, Espoo. On even numbered weeks the sessions run from 6 PM – 8 PM and, on the odd numbered weeks, from 6 PM – 7:15 PM. Afterwards, there will usually be the opportunity for tea, cookies and conversation.
- On Fridays we meet from 7 PM – 7:45 PM for a silent sit. The doors open at 6:45 PM. Afterwards, you can join us for tea, cookies and socializing.
On Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays we meet at Buddhist Center Sampo.
Nirodha has local groups in Hämeenlinna, Joensuu, Jyväskylä, Lahti, Lappeenranta, Porvoo, Tampere, Turku and Rovaniemi. Here are some of the contact details:
- Hämeenlinna. More information on closed Facebook group. Contact Taina Siukola (email@example.com)
- Joensuu. More information on Facebook page. Contact Tuulikki Hukka (p. 050 432 9241).
- Jyväskylä. More information can be found on the group’s Facebook page and by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, where you can also join the mailing list of the group.
- Lahti. Contact person is Tony Heino (email@example.com, tel. 044 333 5822). More information can be found on the Facebook page of the group.
- Tampere. More information can be found on the group’s Facebook page and by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, where you can also join the mailing list of the group.
- Turku. Contact Lauri Niemelä (email@example.com). More information can be found on the Facebook page of the group.
We organize a silent practice day once a month, usually on the first Saturday of each month from 10 AM – 6 PM at Buddhist Center Sampo. During the day, we alternate between silent 45-minute sitting and walking meditation periods. We also listen to a recorded English dharma talk. If you’re not familiar with walking meditation, please arrive early for a short introduction. There is a lunch break at 1:30-2:00 PM – please bring your own lunch. If you prefer to attend half a day, it is possible to arrive or leave during the lunch break. Please sign up by filling in a form. Please add a comment if you are signing up for a later meditation day than the next one.
Dharma Groups for On-Going Support with Your Practice
Dharma groups (i.e. kalyana mitta groups) are small groups intended to support the practice of their members by giving them the opportunity to meditate together, share their experiences and learn from the experiences of others. If you are interested in either joining a group or in starting one yourself, read more about them here.
We also organize classes, daylong retreats, study circles, movie nights, social gatherings, etc. For instance, we have had several groups of people attending the Awakening Joy course by the vipassana teacher James Baraz. The best source of information on these miscellaneous events is our mailing list.
Buddhist Center Sampo
Ilkka Urvas (+358 50 454 3000)
Anne Patrikainen (+358 40 533 9812)
Sampo Koistinen (+358 440 513 176)
Juha Penttilä (+358 40 324 6724)
Feel free to get in touch if you have any questions, we are happy to help!
- Insight meditation retreats abroad
- Miscellaneous resources