Nirodha organizes insight (vipassana) meditation related events in Finland. We offer silent meditation retreats, weekly meditation evenings, monthly practice days, and other activities. The teachers of our retreats come from abroad; many of them have got their teacher training at Gaia House, Insight Meditation Society, or Spirit Rock. The teachings are based on Theravada Buddhism. Many Nirodha events take place in Helsinki, but we have local sitting groups in several other Finnish cities as well. Everybody is warmly welcome to practise with us!
Opportunities to Practice in English
Nirodha offers many practice opportunities for non-Finnish speakers. All our retreats and other events led by visiting teachers are taught in English. In Helsinki, the first Tuesday meditation evening of each month is in English. The silent sitting on Friday, as well as the monthly practice days, can be attended by non-Finnish speakers. In other cities, there’s no regular program in English, but you’re welcome to ask for details about their situation.
If you’d like to discuss your practice with one of our facilitators, we offer 30-minute appointments on a donation basis. The meetings take place in Helsinki, but sometimes there are Skype sessions available as well.
We organize several silent meditation retreats each year. Most retreats are 5-9 days long and can be attended by both beginners and experienced meditators. Most retreats are taught in English. Most of them take place in Southern Finland, within two hours of travel from Helsinki. Recorded material from retreats can be found here.
Due to the current situation with Covid-19 all our retreats are being held online at present. Registration for the retreats is now opened 3 months prior to the retreat starting. We hope to be able to return to in-person retreats once it is safe to do so.
Upcoming retreats in English
- 12.-16.5.2021 Online retreat: Leela Sarti
- 29.6.-4.7.2021 Awakening Joy Online retreat: James Baraz, Jane Baraz and Juha Penttilä
- 20.-25.7.2021 Online retreat Greg Scharf
- 10.-17.8.2021 Trekking retreat: Zohar Lavie and Nathan Glyde
- 2.-9.9.2021 Outdoor retreat: Kirsten Kratz and Juha Penttilä
- 3.-10.9.2021 Insight meditation + Qi Gong: Franz Moeckl and Carol Wilson
- 28.2.-6.3.2022 Catherine McGee: Soulmaking Dharma for experienced practitioners
Nirodha has been organizing retreats since 2006. The teachers of our past retreats include Caroline Jones, Patricia Genoud Feldman, Leigh Brasington, Sayadaw U Tejaniya, Martine Batchelor, Rob Burbea, James Baraz, Greg Scharf, Alexis Santos, Kirsten Kratz, Yanai Postelnik, Leela Sarti, Suvaco, Zohar Lavie, Nathan Glyde and Catherine McGee, among others.
Due to current situation with COVID-19 pandemic, our weekly programme is online. Meditation evenings held on the first Tuesday of the month are in English. You can join by following this link.
We offer online meditation evenings on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays. All these events are donation based and there is no need to sign up in advance. If you do not speak Finnish, you can attend the silent sittings on Fridays, as well as the first Tuesday of each month, which will be taught in English. Please plan to arrive 15 minutes early on your first visit.
- On Tuesdays we meet from 6 PM – 8:30 PM. The evening typically consists of a guided meditation, dharma talk, group discussion and silent meditation. The doors open at 5:30 PM. Afterwards, you can join us for tea, cookies and socializing. (Online at the moment)
- On Wednesdays we meet on the even numbered weeks at Meditaatiokellari (Meritullinkatu 11 B), Helsinki from 6 PM to 7:30 PM. Afterwards, there will usually be the opportunity for tea, cookies and conversation. (Online at the moment)
- On Fridays we meet from 7 PM – 7:45 PM for a silent sit. The doors open at 6:45 PM. Afterwards, you can join us for tea, cookies and socializing. (Online at the moment)
On Tuesdays and Fridays we meet at Buddhist Center Sampo.
Nirodha has local groups in Joensuu, Jyväskylä, Lahti, Lappeenranta, Porvoo, Tampere, Turku, Oulu and Rovaniemi. Here are some of the contact details:
- Joensuu. More information on Facebook page. Contact Sami Sieranoja (email@example.com).
- Jyväskylä. More information can be found on the group’s Facebook page and by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, where you can also join the mailing list of the group.
- Lahti. More information can be found by e-mail at email@example.com. More information can be found on the Facebook page of the group.
- Tampere. More information can be found on the group’s Facebook page and by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, where you can also join the mailing list of the group.
- Turku. Contact Tapio Nasu Envall (email@example.com). More information can be found on the Facebook page of the group.
We organize a silent practice day once a month, usually on the first Saturday of each month from 10 AM – 6 PM at Buddhist Center Sampo. During the day, we alternate between silent 45-minute sitting and walking meditation periods. We also listen to a recorded English dharma talk. If you’re not familiar with walking meditation, please arrive early for a short introduction. There is a lunch break at 1:30-2:00 PM – please bring your own lunch. If you prefer to attend half a day, it is possible to arrive or leave during the lunch break. Please sign up by filling in a form. Please add a comment if you are signing up for a later meditation day than the next one.
For the time being, our monthly practice days are moved online with a similar program due to the pandemic. Please apply for these online days by filling the same form linked above.
We also organize classes, daylong retreats, study circles, movie nights, social gatherings, etc. For instance, we have had several groups of people attending the Awakening Joy course by the vipassana teacher James Baraz. The best source of information on these miscellaneous events is our mailing list.
Buddhist Center Sampo
Ilkka Urvas (+358 50 454 3000)
Juha Penttilä (+358 40 324 6724)
Feel free to get in touch if you have any questions, we are happy to help!
- Insight meditation retreats abroad
- Miscellaneous resources